The presence of 4 sturgeon adults has been detected, which has launched the launch of research campaigns with special staff. Due to the poor visibility in the water during the countryside, no specimens have been identified, but in 2020 the study of the reproductive behavior of the Adriatic sturgeon will be resumed as fishermen have confirmed the site as the only one where a sturgeon population resides.
The process is over, the Regional Council Resolution is pending, which wanted to directly acquire all the opinions of the Bodies involved leading to an extension of the time.
The request for the designation of the SAC has been formulated according to the Natura 2000 standard form. The evaluation by the Lombardy Region is underway.
The action includes torpedo containment activities (completed in October 2018) to allow long-term storage of Acipenser naccarii.
Starting from January 2017, the activity of preparing the scientific documentation to support the request for designation of the new SAC began.
The information and material collected to date consist of:
- fish monitoring results achieved over the past 20 years;
- thematic digital cartography;
- reliable reports about the presence of sturgeon in the area;
- any documentation available to prove the presence of the sturgeon.
All the environmental and fauna characterization data of the area are organized in a geo-database which will be implemented as the activity progresses.
In February 2018 the following activities were carried out:
- field verification of the use of the already known scrub area;
- Wels Catfish containment;
- definition of the hot spots on which to focus future wels catfish containment activities.